New York’s K-Town is known for its excellent Korean BBQ restaurants, karaoke spots, and nightlife. It is located between Broadway and 5th avenue from 33rd to 31st street. Today we are making a delicious Korean BBQ bulgogi recipe inspired by this tasty part of NYC!
If you missed the last episode and are a pizza lover, click here to learn how to make New York pizza inspired by the famous Bleecker Street Pizza. Now on to today’s recipe!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- 1 ½ lb ribeye steak (other well-marbled cuts work as well)
- ⅓ cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup pineapple chopped
- 1 green onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
COOKING THE BEEF:
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 thinly sliced onion
- Marinated beef
- 2 green onions, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed
- Seoul Sisters kimchi seasoning (to your liking)
- 2 cups cooked rice
EQUIPMENT YOU’LL NEED
- Non-stick frying pan
- Cutting board
- Immersion Blender (You could also use a regular blender but we prefer the immersion blender because it will give you a better result).
- Silicone spatula
- Thinly slice frozen rib eye against the grain. This will ensure the meat falls apart and is tender when cooked.
- Add all of the marinade ingredients (listed above) together, then blend until completely liquid.
- Combine marinade and beef, either in a plastic container or a ziplock bag. Put the thinly sliced meat with marinade in the fridge to marinate for 2 hours.
- In the meantime, make the rice. Grate 2 cloves of garlic, then add them to a saucepan with some oil on medium-low heat. Stir around for 3 min and do not burn.
- Combine the rice and garlic, and add salt to taste. Stir for 5 more minutes, and then add water to cover the rice. Let it come to a boil and then once water is mostly absorbed, put the lid on and cook on low heat for 20-25 min (white rice will require less time, about 15 min). Depending on the rice you use, the time might vary so keep an eye on it.
- Once the beef is marinated, take out of the refrigerator and add sliced onions. Cook on high heat with a little bit of oil until brown and caramelized. Once complete, turn the heat off and add green onions. Season to taste with Seoul Sisters Kimchi seasoning and get started on your lettuce wraps!
- Enjoy and share with friends & family! What better way to enjoy this dish than with a nice glass of wine from the Saint Julien region?